Tuesday, July 19, 2011

'Hair Haven Chic'

Hey ladies meet Mareesa Valentine this weeks 'Hair Haven Chic'.


1. How long have you been natural?

"I've been natural for 3 years now and I love it.  My journey began Junior year of college.  I had gotten my first perm when I went to Hampton and didn't take care or keep up with the touch ups so I resort to getting weaves which pulled on my hair and it began to fall out.  By the end of sophomore year I went to my hair stylist and she did the "BIG CHOP".  I had a TWA (teeny weeny afro) that whole summer and I loved every moment of it.  The journey for me has been such a blessing because I have been able to explore my natural beauty and the versatility of my hair."

2. What are some of the challenges you face having natural hair?

"When my hair was shorter it was hard to capture the perfect twist out because of my length.  I also had a hard time with thinking of different hairstyles but thanks to blogs like these and youtube it has saved my life."

 

3. What products do you use?

"I've told all my readers and I will tell you guys that I live by Elasta Care Products; there moisturizing spray and feels like gel.  I love the way it keeps my hair soft daily and also hold it into place."

 

4. What style options have you tried and why do you like them?

"I've tired twist outs, braid outs, two strand twists, flat twists, blow outs, up-dos, roll and tuck styles, and also the popular janelle monae pin-up look.  I like them all because it allows me to express my creativity and I can style my hair according to the weather, wear I'm going, or for work."

 

5. Why did you decide to go natural?

"My decision to go natural was not by choice.  It took my hair falling out for me to figure out that my hair cannot handle the chemicals used to straighten black hair.  After my hair was cut off, I did have the choice to go back to relaxers but I fell in love with my own hair texture and took a vow to learn how to care for it without chemically altering it's curl pattern."

 

6. What are the advantages to having natural tresses?

"Versatility.  You can wear your hair curly or straight.  I love how long it grows.  Also, It's pretty cool to be that black girl who doesn't have to run for cover when it starts to sprinkle or can take a dip in the pool with no worry.  One last thing, it saves me a lot of money.  I only go to my hair stylist to get my ends trimmed twice a year and I do my hair myself, so.....you do the math."

To hear more from Mareesa check out her blog at www.reesaspeaks.com and if you would like to be the next Hair Haven Chic send interests to msstarstyles@yahoo.com

3 comments:

Dera Williams said...

What a great interview. This is really cool Mareesa.

MsStarStyles said...

Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for visiting the page ;)

Unknown said...

Very nice ladies. Good job and good luck to you both.